Dry skin can be the worst so we’re providing you with amazing homemade face masks!
We know dry skin can really get people down. Dry skin can pile the age on you as it makes you tired and sometimes it can be a sign of dehydration or malnutrition.
I get it in the middle of my eyebrows, by my nose and sometimes on my eyelids. You really can’t cover it with foundation and God forbid, powder. It can leave you feeling insecure and hopeless. I feel ya sisters!
Once I woke up and my whole face was totally dried out, I saturated it in Vaseline but obviously I couldn’t go out looking like a grease ball. So I went from dry to greasy- there was no in-between.
What causes dry skin?
Aging skin can be caused by many factors. They can be external, for example, cold weather or a sudden switch from hot to cold weather, low humidity, air conditioning, overusing harsh chemical soaps (usually very scented products) and also heavily alcohol-based products. The sun can be a massive cause of dry skin if you don’t have it usually, it literally sucks your skin dry of oils and dehydrates the skin.
Dry skin can be caused by internal factors too, such as age, health, genetics and medical conditions. Bottom line: your skin needs to be hydrated- whatever the cause.
But fear not! There are face masks and products out there that can eradicate your dry skin leaving it lovely and hydrated.
Does dry skin cause wrinkles?
The answer is no. Wrinkles are mainly caused my the sun, repeated facial expressions, lifestyle (smoking, stress, lack of sleep, alcohol), diet and bad skin products/not taking care of your skin. BUT dry skin does exaggerate wrinkles because skin appears bumpy, scaly and shadowy.
Let’s get down to business
Here are some easy peasy face masks for you to try at home and get rid of that dry skin once and for all. All natural, all organic! These masks all have anti-aging properties so they have a double purpose.
MASK 1: SWEET GREEN MOISTURE
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 1 tsp organic honey
- 1 tsp olive oil (optional but great for added moisture)
How to prepare & apply:
- Mash avocado till creamy. Then mix together with the honey and olive oil till consistent. Apply evenly over face and leave it on for 15 minutes. Before washing it off your can gently rub the mixture into the face using circular motions.
- Wash off with lukewarm water
- Tip: use cucumber over the eyes for brightening, anti-aging and calming effects. It feels soooo nice.
- Avocado is made up of essential fatty acids, one of the main compositions found in collagen- the building block of our skin. Taking care of our collagen is the main thing we need for beautiful skin and avocado builds and fortifies our skin. Avocado is full of oils (making it dense in healthy calories) but also have moisturizing effects on the skin.
- Secret: the gorgeous Jessica Biel and the glowing Victoria Beckham are known to use avocado facial masks.
- Honey contains phytochemicals which have anti-inflammatory effects on the skin and moisturizes the skin. Natural petrochemicals will help to repair damaged skin and get rid of dead skin.
- Olive oil is such a good hydrator and moisturizer- one of the best. It’s great to use externally but also you can eat plenty of it. It’s a huge part of the Mediterranean diet and I think the Spanish look pretty darn good. Olive oil is anti-oxidant rich which will prevent and reverse aging as they stabilize free radicals. For dry skin, olive oil is your best friend.
MASK 2: COCO BANANA
- An inch of a ripened banana
- 2 tsp extra virgin organic coconut oil
How to prepare & apply:
- Mix all the ingredients together with a fork and apply evenly over face.
- Leave the mask on for 20 minutes then wash off with lukewarm water and pat dry. After, moisturize your skin.
- Coconut oil is your best choice for dry skin. It’s natural so it won’t irritate your skin and can be bought cheaply. It’s an excellent moisturizer and hydrator leaving your skin super soft and dewy. No crusties left on your skin, that’s for sure! It’s also a natural deep cleanser, it absorbs easily into the skin and delivers hydration very effectively.
- There are many different coconut oils but some are better and fresher than others, we suggest this coconut oil: Nature’s Way Extra Virgin Organic Coconut Oil:
- Banana is packed with anti-oxidants preventing aging and turning back the clock even. It also allows the mask to have a nice texture and smell delicious.
MASK 3: BREAKFASTY WITH A SIDE OF VITAMIN E
This mask may look like your typical breakfast but it can be also used on your face.
- 2 tsp cooked oatmeal (make sure oats cool right down before adding it to the mask mixture)
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 tsp plain yogurt (full fat is better)
- 1 vitamin E capsule
How to prepare & apply:
- Combine all the ingredients together and empty the contents of the vitamin E capsule to the mixture. Mix everything together.
- Wash your face with warm water, pat off excess water and apply the mask evenly over your damp face.
- Leave the mask on for 15-20 minutes.
- Before wiping away the mask, gently exfoliate your skin in circular motions.
- Wipe off mask with water and pat your skin dry.
- Then apply a good hydrating moisturizer.
- Full-fat yogurt will work as a hydrating moisturizer.
- Vitamin E is an extremely potent anti-oxidant, therefore, it protects your skin from oxidative stress which in the long run causes wrinkles. For the vitamin E to work even better, use an anti-oxidant-rich moisturizer after your mask. Check out our favourites on the home page.
- Honey contains phytochemicals which have anti-inflammatory effects on the skin and moisturizes the skin. Natural petrochemicals will help the repair damaged skin and get rid of dead skin.
- Oats are great for many skin types. Oats are a naturally occurring cleanser and exfoliator, this is a top choice for dry skin as you need to exfoliate away dead skin cells. Even though oats remove dirt and oil, it doesn’t dry out the skin.
Hope you enjoyed this post!
Post your photos underneath, we would love to see your progress.